Why you decided to choose this resource?
Rahul recommended that the executive team read “The One Thing”. This resource makes the reader think about what is the one thing they are focusing not only in work but in home life as well.
What did you learn from it?
I learned to try to focus on one top level thing in the company. I first chose my one thing for our company to be ANANT Priorities. I then quickly realized that my priorities are usually based off 3 things. I decided to change my “One Thing” to Appleseed Services. This allows me to focus on our main product, Appleseed, and concentrate on bringing in billable revenue. By choosing my “current one thing”, it made me thing about what I really want to do in life and in the company. I finally narrowed my focus to be “happiness” as my one thing in life and “Architecture” to be my one thing in the Company.
Key Knowledge: Ten Points
- Multitasking and following long to-do lists might pose the biggest obstacles to achieving your goals.
- Superior success comes from extraordinary focus on your “ONE Thing.”
- Developing a singular focus on what’s necessary puts many larger forces in motion.
- Aligning your purpose with your one thing brings you clarity and happiness.
- Your aligned purpose directs your single priority and tells you how to spend your time.
- Trade your to-do list for a short success list, and use that to chart your course.
- From that list, block out time for what’s truly important for achieving success.
- Learn to say no and accept the chaos that accompanies any pursuit of greatness.
- Take care of your health and energy with good food, exercise, stress relief, family time and sleep.
- Create an environment that supports your goals.
How are you using what you learned?
This book made me realize how difficult to figure out what your one thing is in work and in life. Hopefully the one thing you value most to do in life corresponds to what you want to do for a career. The book also made me finalize what my one thing is for the current quarter and what do I want my one thing to be in the future.
- Make sure you complete your priorities before moving on to other things
- Don’t make daily to-do lists too long and try to focus on a group of actions
- Update your “one thing” throughout your life
How can we as a company or individuals in the company use this?
- Every person in the company should choose one thing in life and for the current Quarter
- Every person in the company should choose one thing in the company for the future
- Every person in the company should choose one thing for their personal career future goals