Why did I choose this resource?
I chose these resources to learn the best practices and places for recruiting recent graduates.
What did you learn from it?
I learned the best practices and places for posting job positions that appeal to new graduates as well as very successful processes for hiring these graduates.
- Provide current and detailed information about the positions being offered
- Describe an average day in that position
- Use videos and written content
- Have candidates interact with recent hires and younger individuals in the company
- Have recent hires perform follow up calls
- Have the younger staff perform the second interview
- Students are much more receptive to feedback from their peers
- For students you are truly interested in hiring but need a little encouragement, offer them the chance to shadow a team member for a day
- Let students know who their “teacher” or mentor at the company would be
- Who will be helping them improve their professional development
- Explain the career opportunities within the company
- Give time frames for reviews and advancement
- Give details on the criteria for promotions
- Be flexible with days and times for interviews and other on-boarding meetings
- Students may be finishing school and still have exams and other activities
- Keep candidates informed throughout the hiring process
- What the next steps will be
- If there is a delay in the process
- If there are travelling costs and if they will or will not be reimbursed for these
- This generation is very concerned with ethics
- Inform them of public interest programs and green initiatives
- Clearly explain the perks of working at the company
- Ask current employees for suggestions that would appeal to the younger crowd
- Give the students time to make a decision if they want to accept the job offer (about 2 weeks)
- Provide a clear explanation of the position and the requirements in the offer letter; as well as if the offer is conditional
- Ask for feedback/tips from career services partners at the local universities.
- College career sites
- Company Website
- Make it easy for candidates to apply
- Easy to find link on the first page (preferably at the top)
How are you using what you learned?
I am using what I learned to increase the number of graduates we are recruiting and to improve the hiring process.
Key Changes / Key Actions
- Have graduates speak to younger employees of the company
- Offer candidates to shadow an employee/contractor for a day or a few hours
- Post positions on LinkedIn